How To Speed Up Website For Seo And Gain More Traffic
Website speed is said to be one of the major ranking factors to speed blog seo and gain more traffic. This has been beginners bloggers orientation and mindset.
However, page speed can not be neglected or taken away from ranking and seo factor to gain traffic to a blog but how well does a page speed affect seo?
There are millions of blogs out there trying to rank at the top of search engines for different or same keywords. This is majorly because they want to gain more traffic to their blog, either direct, referral or organic traffic which is the pride of most bloggers.
When you do much of seo practise to measure blog traffic and measure seo performance, it helps to get a blog post at the top of search engines by showing relevant snippets.
There is this kind of pride and joy in you when you see traffic coming to your blog, especially organic traffic. You always feel you are doing the right thing and also notice your blog is growing overtime.
It made me remember the time I started blogging, the first blog I started with could hardly gain 10 organic traffic in a month for the first 3 to 14 month of blogging. I hardly see traffic come to my blog.
I do so well to post on different social media platforms which gave me so amount of traffic like 3,000 page views per months but this wasn’t enough, so I tried to find a way to improve my blog and speed blog seo for better performance, one of the search engine optimization skills I used was improving page speed.
I was astonished when I surfed the net to see a website open in less than 1 seconds, wow that is a crazy and pretty fast loading website. Yet there are some other websites that take 2 seconds to 7 seconds and even more to fully load a page.
Having this kind of slow loading website does not encourage users to engage with your website as expected.
But one thing you should have in mind is that the speed of a website does not really have a great effect on seo, though during google webmaster conference 2020. It was stated that page speed helps blog seo and also make a website rank better but does not have a great impact on seo performance as people usually picture it to be.
The reality is that a blog page with great and quality content with a captivating and informative snippet or search description will always catch the attention of readers who search for a query related to the content you have on your page.
How long and slow a page load does not matter to users who find what they are looking for in your site. But the facts remains that a fast loading page is far productive and performance more better than a slow page
Having known this, It is best to consider having a faster website than a page that takes forever to load, not all users are patient enough to wait for upto 7seconds before getting to read on a blog.
You may think 7 seconds is a short time; Yes it is, but on the search engines, the way things are on the internet is far different from what we experience during our daily activities.
Website load faster on your device does not mean your website speed is good and a website load very slow means it needs improvement.
Factors that affect website speed
1. Users Browser: there are so many things that could affect blog speed and slow loading time, users browser is one of them. There are some browsers that load more of java script which takes more time to load a page than using HTML coding. When browsers load pages on java scripts it takes a longer time to load a page, which makes it look like a blog is slow.
2. Low end devices: Apart from browsers, there comes mobile and desktop devices as well. These gadgets can literally slow down blog speed. For instance a low end device or outdated devices of users can greatly affect page speed, compared with a high end device that are 4g and 5g network enabled.
3. Service provider signal: Since the internet uses data connection, the telecommunication companies have so many service providers which connect your device to the internet. If those providers have a poor server it will be difficult for devices to pick a good signal, this means the quality of the signal gives the better chance to load a blog faster.
4. Poor Location: Users may have all the above factor working well, but may not be in a good location.
How To Speed Up Website
5. Mobile/ Desktop speed test: To speed up a website, you need to understand how well your website performs in terms of speed, it is important to test the mobile and desktop version of your website. There are several tools to test website speed which are actually not totally accurate but at least will give you a fair result and how to improve website speed, such as areas to work on pages peed insights
6. Avoid mixed content: Ensure that your website is either running HTTP or HTTPS, let it be clear which one you prefer to use and if both you need to specify using search engine console sitemap.
Running a website that does not specify its directories correctly such as serving content from HTTP to HTTPS can greatly affect website speed as it will take time before the web server detects and decides which is appropriate to render for users visiting your site.
8. Compress Image: Page load time could be as a result of image on your website, large image size could slow down the speed of a website. It is important to always compress the size of a blog image at least 50k and less.
9. CDN: The very most important and effective way to speed up a website is CDN which means Content Delivery Network. What does CDN do?
According to cloudflare
It help to keep distance of serve close to each other, as it minimizes the distance between users and your website, as it stores cached version of contents in different geographical locations, such that when you visit a website the first time, it store the data that when you visit it again it easily understand and read the information faster, this make the page load faster than expected.